2005年11月23日 星期三

Snow!

Aaron and I were studying for our finals in the library. Aaron stressed out and went out smoking.

He came back and told me: "Hey! It's snowing."

He wasn't too excited because he's from NY. New Yorkers never get excited.

I said: "What? Seriously?" I was really excited because snow is rare in my country, Taiwan, a tropical island.

I heard about it. People talk about it. I know it's coming. I just didn't expect it to come so soon (I mean the snow, not the final).

So I ran down stairs, opened the door, and saw the snow blew over the city. This is my first urban snow. I've never seen snow in a city.

It was thrilling. Almost supernatural.

Library is like underwear, they feel all the same when you're in it. Studying in the library sometimes confuses me of my location. Am I studying in Taiwan? In California? Why am I always studying?

But the dark street and the omnipresent white powder that I ran into, suddenly transcend me to another world. The real world. The deep dark sky that seems to hide any emotion and the ice cold breeze that seems to wipe all feelings. I was stunned by the beauty of the nature, and ashamed of how senselessly I've been living. Dazingly I stood in the snow.

Until my head hurts. It was a little chilly so I walked back to the library.

Aaron looked at me with interest: "If snow excites you so much now; you will be overwhelmed when you see the white Christmas."

I said: "Once in a while is not bad, but not too often will be better" (I mean the snow, not the final).

* * * * * * * *

Just today I learned two good friends of mine have lost their close relatives. My best wish to them and to their family.

We are never strong enough to bear the lost of a family.

Although separated, we will continue the journey they left to us, and, I believe, they will continue theirs. And one day we will reunite.