2006年1月13日 星期五

Another complaint to Bennington ﹝給房東的一封抱怨信(2)﹞



Dear Amy,


Unfortunately I had to complain to you about relatively the same issue in such a short period of time. As I type this letter, I am again locked out of my door waiting for the locksmith.
It is midnight now, so I do understand you do not provide spare key during this period of time. That is not the issue here.


The fact is as below: yesterday I requested a repair of my dryer and the door light. The workers apparently efficiently finished the job today before I come home. Unfortunately, when they left, they locked both the upper lock and the lower lock. I only have the key to the lower lock since I moved in. Thus I am locked out now.


You may ask, if I didn’t have the key to the upper lock, why didn’t I request a key for the upper lock before this ridiculous accident happened? In fact I did request a key at the time when I first moved in. I (orally) requested a key from Hamid (the leasing manager), who walked through the apartment with me and promised to provide the missing keys to me (and my two other roommates) before he turned over the apartment. Those keys were never produced and I never bothered to re-request the key. Instead I only lock the lower lock ever since. Locking only the lower lock has never caused me any problem, until now, four days after the first time I called the locksmith.


If you (or Hamid) argue that I should have re-requested the keys and put the request into written documents, and if you argue that I have no proof that I’ve ever requested those missing keys, I would not be able to counter-argue because your statement is true. I do not have any evidence except the fact that none of the residents of Apt# 1419 ever received the key of the upper lock (therefore we couldn’t possibly locked the door from outside). I have no concrete support of my request of keys, except the common sense that residents would have requested all applicable keys before they move in.


You may find my recurring complaints annoying, or even suspicious. But I assure you that I do not enjoy being locked out of my apartment, at the midnight, waiting for the locksmith for almost an hour and a half by now. I do have personal business that I found more important than asserting frivolous claims. And I do hope you agree that the best way to prevent this kind of situation happening again (to any future resident) is not by holding the responsibility on the residents to relentlessly pressure the leasing office to generate the keys, but by holding the responsibility on the leasing office to spontaneously provide all keys before residents move in,.
Because I have never obtained the key to the lock locked by Bennington’s workers, I hereby request the reimbursement of the locksmith fee $160 (late night + difficult lock). Receipt and work order provided upon request.


I would also like to note that Shawn has been very friendly and helpful in this incidence. She could testify that I was indeed locked out of my door twice in 4 days, that I did not create these claims just to deduct my rent.


Sincerely,


麥可青蛙