2006年5月9日 星期二

The end of 1L



Read and outline until 3 AM. Wake up at 8 AM and start practicing exams. At 11 AM, Drag my luggage bag that is packed with casebooks, supplemental materials and class notes through the metro to the classroom. Swallow lunch in 15 minutes. Find out the exam room on the blackboard. Setup the notebook and deep breath 3 times. Flip over the exam and begin.



mmmm….there are 3 issues in Question 1. Issue 1: this is the reason why A is right and B is wrong. However, B may argue this reason. But still, A should win because of that reason. Next issue. B should win because A failed to show this and that. However, if B could show that and this, B will win. But still, even if B show that and this, if A could point out this and that, B could not win….Next issue…



Exam end. Deep breath again. Go home and take a nap. Wake up at 8 PM and prepare for the next exam.



What? There is no next exam?



After I finished my Civil Procedure (民事訴訟法) exam at 5PM on May 4th, 2006, my first year (1L) ended. After I submitted my exam electronically, in my heart I raised both my hands high. “YES! I’M DONE!” I shouted, again in my heart.



People say surviving the 1L is itself an achievement. But the atmosphere at school was not as high as the end of the first semester. As usual, the school threw a party at us at the night the last test ended. The school reserved a night club. I arrived at ten and found 200 drunk and crazy 1L busy hugging, kissing to congratulate each other and intoxicating themselves. Aaron, particularly, was so drunk that he had to lie on the road outside of the pub.



I arrived the pub late and left early because classmates I’m more familiar with had left, were drunk, or disappeared. I left to home driving with high spirits nevertheless. It was a relatively quiet end of 1L. And on my way driving to home, I was happy to put everything in the 1L out of my mind for a moment.