2006年7月19日 星期三

Law Review


Few days ago I learned that I did not make it to the Law Review. That is not surprising, since I never turned in my competition assignment.

Several classmates in (maybe half of) my small section class made it to one or the other law journals. Those classmates include Augustine, Karen, Laura, Kathy, etc. Congratulation to them! This is an achievement since GWU Law only has 5 journals. Other law school with similar or smaller class size has much more journals than GWU (ex. Georetown has 15 journals).

Although I never expected or seriously imagined myself joining the law review, I still feel somewhat lost when I heard the name list. Although it was a battle--a time-limited, massive-reading, smart English writing competition--that I knew I have little chance, I still felt defeated by the winners of the battle.

"That is not my game", I try to remind myself, "an English writing competition will never be my game." How I feel was vividly portraited in the book "One L," in which the main character described how he changed from not caring about the law review at all to suffering the depression when he learned that he failed to make the law review; how a high-achiever was encouraged and harmed by the competitive atmosphere of the school. I don't feel nearly as bad as he did. But "joining the law review would have been nice" I wonder.

Absence all the excuses, I do appreciate one precious reward from the competition experience--I know one more thing that I'm not good at. After doing poorly in guitar, jazz percussion, piano and singing (singing was really bad), I learned to focus on things that I'm better at and enjoy learning things that I'm still, well, learning.